Wednesday 25 January 2012

Ladybug Green House

To all my lovelys!


These past few days have been so busy, lots to write today! We've finished the weekend off with CIL training, we learned many things, from intercultural traning, meeting people from Uganda and Zambia, and coping methods for dealing with homesickness. They were long days but we powered through! We had come to the conclusion that we are there for a short period of time but our work will last generations. We did a number of excercises that tested our behaviours and instincts to respect the culture we are going into. We had learned what not to do, but when put in a game like situation we failed and went back to our second nature, so it opened our eyes on how to be cautious of this in Africa. I feel confident from the CIL training and am so thankful Leanne could be apart of our journey.

I have to say, every presenter I have had so far on this amazing journey, I admire their passion for change. I love being around positive energy and it makes me excited for all of these projects. The positive energy of the interns and Rowan ( our mom/boss) keeps my spirits high and I am grateful to be with Aboriginal Youth who want to make and see change within Africa and our own communities.

Today was a great day, we got to work with Wayne and Rick at the ladybug greenhouse! I had so much fun! We got to see how T'Souke nation keeps there levels of sustainability high. The compost system that I wrote about a few posts ago kind of ties into all of this. The ladybug garden grows many plants and vegetables which get sold on "Seedy Saturday" in February. The local farmers share seeds and I learned that the garden has over 30 different tomato seeds! I was shocked, because I know of like 5 tomatoes!

The Ladybug Garden has a large greenhouse and grows many vegetables, which are fed compost soil and organic material. The interns had helped prepare the vegetable beds. The greenhouse is a great project that yet again I would love to bring back to Samson. The greenhouse vegetables supply food for the weekly community dinners and Meals on Wheels. I love the sense of unity in this community (I know im cheesy but this community is amazing) There are painted little rocks all over the gardens of little ladybugs on rocks painted by the local school children. I would love to return in summer to see the greenhouse at max capacity and the berry patches in full bloom.

Yesterday we participated in another conservation work shop with Angie, and watched the Pixar movie Wall-E. This movie is shown to youth for the kids workshops to show the effects Humans will have on Earth if we do not take care of it, and for the remainder of the afternoon we had spent with the youths in the Youth Center doing arts and crafts, and playing games. We then went to culture night at the town hall and we learned to count to ten in the local language.

Every day here is a blessing and I am excited to keep learning and meeting wonderful people who inspire me to do amazing things during and after the internship. Until Next time! xoxo!

No comments:

Post a Comment