Tuesday 31 January 2012

13 Days to Go! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

To all my favorite lovelys!!

Holy Moly Macaroni, I am just kinda amazed by how fast time flies. I remember being informed that I got the position just a few short months ago, and now the pre departure training is almost coming to an end. I can never say enough, how grateful I am to be given this gift, Its so wonderful and I heard some amazing speakers over the past few days. Each day gets better and better if thats even possible. I am just so grateful for all the wonderful people that I meet every day and that inspire me and give me confidence in my work in Lusaka to make change at the grassroots level.

Yesterday morning at the office, started with the Executive Director, Lynn who is absolutely amazing and could tell you stories of Zambia until the cows come home! Lynn had gave the interns a briefing on all of VIDEA's project to kind of give an idea of how VIDEA works in relation to work overseas and what kind of approach that VIDEA takes in relation to conservation and sustainability. I am so honored to be apart of an internship that does so many amazing projects locally and internationally in such a manner which is unique.

Just going to give you an important and quick and concise background on the work VIDEA does, First of all, alot of the projects that they do is to capture and preserve indigenous knowledge, locally in BC First Nations communities as well as in Africa. VIDEA organizes fair trade events, and organizes education programs to be added into the curriculum in terms of conservation and sustainability, they work with teachers in this process. VIDEA also works outside of the school, and not during schools hours. This opens up the topic of sustainability up to a different type of audience. An audience who does not have much education and those who may be able to relate to poverty more than the middle class in Canadian public schools. ( I mean no offense to anyone) VIDEA also does public engagement with local communities and has a Twinning program which links different towns in BC to projects in Africa, an example, is the drought in Kelowna and water management and apply it to problems in Africa. There is more to this issue, but I can write pages on this. VIDEA also assists in child protection polies to help families with trauma in Africa and last but not least, VIDEA is responsible for the International Program overseas like sending interns to different countries to assist in NGO's.

More information can be found on the website :) www.videa.ca You probably should have a look if your interested in learning more about these type of issues.

Basically, I could write for days about all the great work VIDEA does, but at the end of the day, they want to help people in Africa solve their own problems and not do it for them essentially. They want to provide job training and skills because when the Interns are gone they will need to sustain when were away.

Just want to leave you with one quote, before I go, "Africa will always be second rate if they keep trying to stand on European shoulders"

Have so much more to say but I need to prep for tomorrows learning circle at Uvic and talking about my youth engagement and volunteering! Super excited.

Thanks to the UVIC NSU for adding my blog address to their February Updates! you guys rock!

I miss everyone so much, but Ive technically completed one month of the internship. And im excited for the next 5 months. Its going to be great! Xoxo
Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment