Thursday 31 May 2012

uphill battles!

As I reflect back on my experiences in Zambia, there have been some challenging times, where I’ve had to bite my tongue.

I’ve never been shy about voicing my opinions, and even looking back, sometime I’ve argued my opinion to the death even if it was wrong, Just to model my strength for sticking up for things I believe in.

Growing up, I had really vocal parents who always allowed me and my siblings to voice our opinions and stand up for what we believed in. I always admired the work they did, and always admired their strong voices for “doing the right” thing.

 I grew into this voice, when I started to enter my “grown up” years.

When I was in my first few years of University I started to explore this voice more, the more knowledgeable I became in terms of life skills and school smarts, this voice grew louder and louder.

My strong voice has taken a different direction in Zambia in terms of being mindful of where I am. I’ve been in two situations where I had to back down and walk away. I wasn’t too happy but these are the real challenges Women for Change staff meet daily.

1)      I went to the clinic to be treated for suspected malaria, and the lab tech that was doing my blood sample, asked me why I was in Zambia, and making some small talk of why I had choose to come to Zambia. He then asked where I was working. I had replied that I was volunteering at an NGO called Women for Change in the nearby neighborhood. This lab tech was a middle aged man, who obviously had to have some sort of education, and probably a middle class man.



He was pressuring me on why I was advocating for Women’s Rights. He said why do Zambian women need rights? And why would you come all the way from Canada to help Zambian women? I was completely raging inside, but me & Rohan were pretty calm but I bet she was raging on the inside too.( She had to hold my hand because I have a deathly fear of needles.) Anywhoooo, not the point!  This man just motivated me even more to work hard to continue to sensitize the local public on issues like gender based violence and how women and children are kept in poverty.



It was frustrating to hold my tongue, because first of all, I am a guest in this country. Second, I know what it’s like to have “White”(sorry to have offended anyone) consultants come to my community and tell us what is “Right”  



2)      The other day, this guy approached me and Shaina while we were out at the Sunday market, and asked why we were in Zambia. I get this question a lot from curious Zambians. So I politely responded that I was volunteering at Women for Change. And he completely threw me off my guard, he asked me if I was a Christian, I said I would describe myself as more spiritual rather than put a label on it.



He told me “It says in the bible, that Women don’t deserve to have the same opportunities as men” To be honest, I haven’t read the bible from cover to cover. Nor am I judging the bible in anyway, After this comment, I was really upset. I had to walk away with my tail between my legs, because I wanted to be respectful, but this is a constant uphill battle in a sustainability issue. Religion is such a touchy subject all over the world. I don’t really have the right to write about his view on the bible.



It really does motivate me to push through on the sensitization documents I write. It is frustrating, and I can’t change people’s religion nor force a new religion that gives women and men equal opportunities at life.



As for my strong voice, it can still be strong & respectful, even if I don’t agree with it. This was a huge lesson for me, and I will always remember these situations for my career in International Development. I am a guest in the country and I’ve been in their shoes with “consultants” from the cities analyze my community and make recommendations based on what they think.



I know I’m not from Zambia, and I’m not making recommendations. I’m just hoping to give women an opportunity at a life NOT in poverty in Zambia & in First Nations communities.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kaylyn for reminding me how lucky we really are. I needed to hear these words!
    Our ancestors respected women, traditionally women took care of the tribe, and warriors made decisions on what the women wanted, "The world is Mother Earth, The tipi is the mothers womb, out east, they had clan mothers" Thanks Kaylyn. We are so lucky!! <3

    ReplyDelete