Sunday 20 May 2012

Kitchen Party


Kitchen Party

A few  weekends ago, I was invited to go to a Kitchen Party with one of my co-workers from Women for Change. Let me guess?! You’re thinking a party held in a kitchen. Don’t worry. I did too! Silly Goose!

Much to my surprise, it wasn’t what I was even expecting at all, a kitchen party is like a bridal shower, but on a much bigger scale.

 It was such an honor to be able to get an invite from my co- worker Maggie. We went shopping in Kamwala (district within Lusaka) to get the perfect chitenge material. I picked out a pink chitenge pattern. If you know me, you know I have a little obsession with pink things. Okay fine, a big obsession!

We took the chitenge material to the tailor to be made especially for me. I had gotten a beautiful traditional Zambian dress made. If I was going to the kitchen party, I was going to have to blend in. I looked like a Zambian Barbie. All ready for the big event!

I met Maggie on the other side of town, and we went to the kitchen party. When the door opened to walk in to the court yard where it was located, I must have looked funny to all the Zambian ladies. I had wide eyes and I was looking everywhere trying to take it all in.

When I walked in, I noticed the amount of guests that the event was hosting. There must have been around 150 women in attendance. Bridal showers in Canada host maybe 20 ladies. There was a live band and the smell of traditional Zambian food. I think I was having sensory overload. So many things, to see & smell & touch.

Poor Maggie, she had to answer a question every two minutes. I wanted to know everything. There was dancing and speeches, and lots of food to eat, there was music playing from the band, and women singing everywhere.

The bride sits at the front of the party, and she is supposed to look stoic and fierce. I asked Maggie why the bride did not look happy, I said if it was my bridal shower, I would be the most excited bride in Canada. Maggie replied “It is tradition for women to look stoic, if they appear ansty or anxious, they will not make a great wife”.

I spent the afternoon greeting many women and mingling around the kitchen party. I looked at the gifts that were presented to the bride, it was amazing! It covered a quarter of the court yard. There were fridges, stoves, dishes, table & chairs, and every single kitchen thingy you can imagine.

The lucky bride will never need to buy anything for a kitchen ever again. Her committee, or what we would call bridesmaids prepare and organize the kitchen party, and they all wear beautiful matching chitenge outfits. Each has the same pattern, but different styles of tailored outfits.
The afternoon of singing and dancing tired me out, and ended before dinner time. I was beyond happy to be able to participate in such a special occasion. I am so excited to bring my traditional chitenge home for all of my community to see!



No comments:

Post a Comment