Wednesday 23 May 2012

less than a month to gooooo


I have many feelings I’m experiencing as we prepare to go home in a few short weeks. There are many things I am nervous for.........
I don’t like to talk about leaving Women for Change to other WFC staff, because I don’t want them to feel like I’m rushing home and did not enjoy my time in Zambia. I do not want to feel like I’m rushing off back home to something better. (It isn`t better, it`s just different in context)
At the end of the internship, I can go home and return to hot showers, and less scary spiders. As for my new friends here in Zambia, they all do not have that luxury.
I find it difficult to express what this emotion is. It’s a sense of guilt for returning home. Things in Canada are very easy for me. I turn on the tap, and hot and fresh water comes out. I have a fridge, and can dig in the fridge to scrounge something for dinner. Tasks certainly require less effort on the other side of the waters.
It`s just like a transition state for me right now. 24 more sleeps until we make the long journey home. I am excited for everything to come, I haven`t realized how long I`ve been gone. In reality It`s only a 4 month stay in Zambia, but it only seems long because I`m attached to my family at the hips. My dad says my siblings and I are like puppies. Always together.
 I wake up every day grateful for another day in Zambia. My boyfriend said it best ``When your back in Canada, you`ll be wishing you were still in Zambia, and to cherish every experience and make each day count`` He is right, I am excited to go back to Canada, but I want to take every chance here in Zambia and finish the internship as strong as when I started.
Myself & the other interns have come up with a list of things were not excited for when we get back to Canada
1)      The weird questions from individuals who know nothing about Africa, “OMG what kind of doctors do they have there?” or another favorite “How do you guys have internet if you live in huts?”
2)      To watch how our family & friends take things for granted, A small example-washing machines.                     I’ve been doing my laundry by hand. The water system within the city is not as developed as Canada’s. So even if a family could afford a washer, there wouldn’t be enough water to do a load of laundry.
3)      We’re not excited for the little insignificant things that people worry about. We realized so many things do not matter here, and there is bigger problems in Zambia. We don’t care Kim Kardashian wore a pink dress to mystery awards. Not sure if she did, I just made that up!
4)      The cost of things in Canada, and how expensive it is to live. I can’t imagine paying anywhere from $2-5 for a bottle of water.

Things we are excited for!
1)      Tim Hortons Coffees
2)      Hot showers
3)      Fast food drive thru or Tim Horton’s drive thru –It’s weird how you would miss driving up to a window to get some coffee or something on the go.
4) McDonald's chicken nuggets- Group decision! (wink wink)

No comments:

Post a Comment