Friday 4 May 2012

personal feelings

I have been given such a beautiful gift to have been able to experience Zambia the way I have been able to. I`ve been able to fully experience Zambia through all senses: smell, touch, sight, taste, & sound

There is no doubt that this opportunity is amazing and will forever impact my life.

I have had many people write to me, and say what I am doing is such an amazing thing and I am such an inspiration. I thank you for those words. They are inspirational and lift me up when I need it. It can be overwhelming to be one person in a tangled web of sustainability issues.

I am super grateful for these motivational words and wonderful things everyone says to me

I just don`t want anyone to get the wrong idea. I am not perfect and I don`t always walk around parading International Issues all the time. I did not come to Zambia to be a mother Theresa figure or appear Saintly. I did not want to exacerbate Zambia`s statistics and give you the wrong impression of South Africa.

I attended the same schools, walked through the same communities as the rest of my readers. My brothers tease me, and sisters steal my clothes. My friends call me Stash. I am pretty average.

I hoped this experience would be able to reach other young Indigenous Women and show them that big dreams are attainable; even when you come from communities like the Samson Cree Nation.

 I just want to be cautious that I am using this little spotlight for all the right reasons and not for something I`m not. It`s easy for all of this public attention to get Interns all wrapped up and not focus on the real reason we are here: To learn from Women for Change & how it contributes to rural communities by capacity building at all levels.

My family, my friends,& my community have put me on this pedestal and I just want everyone to know why I`m here, and how I`m focussing my time and energy on projects that can be done sustainably.






1 comment:

  1. A Quote from Evan Almighty:

    "God: How do you change the world?

    Evan: One single act of random kindness at a time."

    ReplyDelete