Monday 27 February 2012

Lesson Learned

After lunch today, I encountered my first child street begger. I had an orange Fanta in my hand, and a donut in a brown bag, that I decided to treat myself to at the local bakery. I was walking back to my office, as the lunch break was coming to an end.
The boy came up to me and I heard this little quiete voice, say “Miss….I am hungry” and I tried to ignore him. I heard the little voice again “I am hungry Miss” and I turned around to look at him. It was a boy who was hardly older than my brother Justice who is 7 years old.

At that moment, my heart cringed, It was a feeling I tried to push away. I did not want to feel that way. I can’t even find the words to describe the pit that formed in my stomach.

 I know that giving this child food and giving into his begging was not going to help anything but only be a temporary solution. I had to walk away and say” No I’m sorry”. I had to walk away fast, because I did not want that little boy to see me cry.

He followed me a few steps, and kept saying “Miss, I am hungry”. My back was turned to him.

 I can still hear his voice echoing in my head, I can still see his eyes, filled with sadness. I felt I was looking at my own eyes, the same feeling of sadness that he had.

My dad always told me, to give what you have, even if you are struggling. I knew this was a test to me. I had to fight my inner self, on what the Christian thing would be to do, and the realistic view of child poverty in Zambia.

We’ve been educated not to give in to child beggers, because they most often will work for someone in the streets. Whatever people give them to goes to whoever employs them and the food/money/ items does not go to the actual child themselves.

Often, other kids may be involved, and if they see one child begger, who has something, they might get attacked by other children for the food. It is a lose-lose situation.

My boss/sister/mom Rohan, so kindly reminded me that I’ve been partnered with an amazing NGO who strives to eradicate child poverty and empowers mothers and children to not have to resort to begging in the streets for survival.

 It was a hard lesson to be learned today but It took everything out of me to say no and choose to fight to eliminate poverty in another way. A more sustainable way.

No comments:

Post a Comment