Thursday 22 March 2012

World Water Day

Today is World Water Day. Please Conserve Water. Not just today, but every day.
My baby sister Heather, did an amazing fundraiser, one that I encourage you all to try. She participated in the Walk for Water in Edmonton. She walked for two km`s with empty milk jugs, and once she got to the destination point she filled up her milk jugs with water. Heather than walked back the two km`s with full milk jugs of water. The experience was to teach her what it is like in Africa to walk for water.
In reality, Women and Children walk much longer to obtain water. Hours. Some days the trip must be done more than once. How far are you willing to walk for that glass of water?

There is a project I would love to start upon completion of this internship. I would love to start a project very similar to BC`s Conservation Plan;To provide homes with conservation kits, to have low flow shower heads, and just little items that would contribute to conservation within my community.
We have a high number of community members on income support, and any way to help make their water or electricity bills smaller, so they can ideally use the saved money to no longer need income support services.

My mom had told me a story once, she said her grandma told her to never play with water, because one day we would have to pay for it, now we live in a world where water is more expensive per Litre than the price of fuel.
Please share the message `World Water Day`


`Ashley, what you are doing is amazing. You are being the change you want to see In the world, and by doing that you inspire me and many others. I may not have the strength to go to Africa, but because of the example you are setting, I know that I can do much more in my own country. Thank you for being an amazing woman, setting such an amazing example. Love you lots, stay safe, and keep inspiring ♥

This was posted on my facebook group. This is exactly what I wanted or hoped would come from this internship. This motivates me to keep going when days get tough and I feel like I`m not doing enough to help.
I had hoped this internship would open eyes all around me and make people understand. I am glad I have been your personal connection to Zambia.

No comments:

Post a Comment