Wednesday 14 March 2012

Kony (Blah)

I am writing this post in response to the discussion I started on my Facebook group within my friends list, I had asked my friends not to support the Kony Movement, and with the help of my programme manager have come up with reasons why we do not support the Kony 2012- Invisible Children Organization.

I know you have all wondered why I have asked you not to support the Kony Movement…. If you use any type of social media, you know the Kony Movement has gotten extreme hype in the last few days. I will not get into the reasons why I’ve asked you not to support the Kony 2012 “Movement” but I strongly encourage you to do your own research on the organization, and form your own opinion on the video.

I have a completely different view, while I am in the ground here in Zambia, I have five of my colleagues in Uganda right now who I’ve done my training with, and I am sure they have had so many questions with the Kony stuff from people in North America.

There are more sustainable ways to positively contribute to the issues. Which organization you choose is completely up to you, please be skeptical of the organizations and do your research but these are a few I like…..

http://www.videa.ca – This one is the wonderful organization who felt confident in me, to offer me an internship with their partners in Zambia. I know my friends in Kelowna and BC should look into this one, we have a twinning program where we sell products from Zambia in Kelowna. Many opportunities to volunteer your time.

http://www.one.org/international- I love this “one” because Justin Beiber supports it! LOL but you don’t need to pay money, you just need to support the issues, and you can advocate in your local area. It focuses to change policies within countries to alleviate poverty and gender based violence.

http://wwf.panda.org  World Wildlife Fund- This one is great, because as an Indigenous Person, I agree with their statement of” Building a future where humans live in harmony with nature”

www.wfc.org.zm Women for Change-My Internship Placement.

Justice for Widows and Orphans-This one is local to Zambia. Courtenay and Tashayna have been the first two International Interns to Intern at their office. They do amazing things for women and land claims after their husbands die.

http://www.womankind.org.uk/what-we-do/where-we-work/south-africa/womankind-projects/ -Support Womens issues. For women to have a voice in this world is not universal.








No comments:

Post a Comment