Thursday 14 March 2013

Samson moving forward


When I was under-going my pre-departure training over a year ago, I was staying in a beautiful community, the T'Sou-ke First Nation on Vancouver Island. 

I was in awe of the sense of community, I remember journalling, how I felt so welcome, and was made to feel like a family from the membership in the community. 

I felt like people genuinely cared for each other and were concerned about everyone's well being, It was such a close group and it truly touched my heart. 

I wanted to bring the same idea back to Samson, to encourage the Unity of our Peoples. I had a vision for Samson, and the kind of community I wanted children to grow up in. 

Over the past few months, I have joined up with some amazing ladies from the community to follow through with this vision. 

We started a small group to focus on empowering our youth and building up the family. Our goal was to educate, and empower. 

I can't explain the up most purest form of happiness that I've seen from the Children that we've been able to bring happiness to. It is truly magical. 

In December we hosted a Secret Santa Event for 300 youth. The kids enjoyed an evening skating with Santa  and everyone got a Christmas meal and a toy from Santa himself. 





In February we started the First Annual Winter Celebrations and spent Family Day with hundreds of other families in Samson and had hay rides, got our faces painted, played in and out door activities. 

(I invite you to view our Community Newsletter http://www.samsoncree.com/newsandevents.htm for the full scope of pictures and activities) 

We also started the First Ever "Iskwesis" Girls Skating Program, the program was designed for girls who were not in any other organized sport, to keep active in the Winter and come and skate. We've networked with Sport Central in Edmonton who provided twenty girls with skates and helmets. The program runs every week on Wednesdays. The program started with 7 girls, and now we have over 40 girls who come and skate with us every week. 

Me and Iskwesis Girls

I am grateful for my time in T'Sou-ke for giving me the understanding of what's important in life. Families helping other families. 

I am grateful for the women who love the Samson Community, just as much as I do. I also believe they should be recognized for the amazing work that they do. 

Charmaine Crane- Justice Soosay- Debra Buffalo- Myrna Buffalo & the many more who help us achieve our dream, of making Samson a better place to live. 







No comments:

Post a Comment