Wednesday 6 March 2013

FNSC



On February 27 & 28, 2013, I was able to take part in the Second Annual First Nations Sustainability Conference. Not only, was I an Organizer of the event, but also I speaker where I was able to share my story. 

I felt so honored to be among so many amazing people who were all participants of a common theme, to share our Stories of Sustainability amongst First Nations Communities & Buildings. 

As each speaker presented new generational thinking, a piece of their presentations stuck with me. I may not be the most educated in this field, but I am passionate in my learning, and passionate of how I can present some of these ideas into my community. 

Our Keynote guest Wab Kinew, had talked about sustainability not just being one thing, like providing a new sustainable house, but being apart of a web of issues, especially when dealing with First Nations Peoples. You have to fix everything.
 
I was very inspired and felt like I had accomplished a milestone after I spoke, especially combating my fear of public speaking. 

Public speaking, was something I never dreamed or considered when I grew up, It just kind of chose me & I truly believe the Creator has given me a voice to share my story. I took this opportunity to speak, to be able to give youth a voice in terms of Sustainability. 

In First Nations communities, the vast majority of the population is under the age of 30, So I believe that the youth need to be more involved when thinking of the “The Big Picture” and moving forward into the Future. 


I don’t have children yet, but when the Creator blesses me with my own children, I’d like to provide them a life where we learn about living sustainability from an early age, and continue on for generational impacts

 Myself & Wab Kinew- Host of 8th Fire

No comments:

Post a Comment