Thursday 19 April 2012

work & life

Transitioning into an extremely busy NGO and learning the tasks of my job and my unit have not been easy. It’s been a whirl wind trying to learn the basic’s of the Information, Advocacy and Training Unit, let alone the entire organization, but I like a challenge! It’s been great learning the ropes of the organization.

“If things were easy, everyone would do it” Those are words I’ve heard my whole entire life. There were times in my life when I always complained things were so hard, and times I wanted to just simply give up and be a quitter, especially through my first years of University, I owe those words to my Dad. He never dilly dallied around things, Bill Ferland just gives it to ya straight, even if it you don’t like it. I can still hear my dad’s words in my head, “If it was easy to live and work in Zambia, everyone would do it” and instantly I pick myself up and keep working hard.

I remind myself how hard I have had to work to get to this position at where I am today. I do my work to the best of my ability. I want to make every project worth-while, because I do not when I will be able to return to Zambia next.

I feel I can not write the exact words how I have grown personally, and professionally. All my four years University has contributed to the success of my work in Zambia. All the people I have ever networked in my life has given me the skills to succeed in my International internship placement.

I am only half way through my internship and there is still much learning to come. I am excited for all the projects that have presented themselves through- out the course of this internship.

I have had my whole entire world cracked open, and I believe I am seeing for the first time.  I am so grateful for wealth of knowledge Zambia and Women for Change has given me, and my experiences In South Africa will be beneficial to First Nations communities back in Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment